The report from App Annie reveals that TikTok, YouTube and Facebook were the top apps by downloads, consumer spend and MAU.
Other interesting data from the report:
- Smartphone users spent around $9 billion more on apps and games in Q1 2021 than they did in Q1 2020.
- Consumer spend grew 40% year over year to $21 billion on iOS, and by the same percentage year over year to around $11 billion on Google Play.
- Signal, a privacy-focused messaging app, was the quarter’s fastest-growing app by downloads and MAUs – and that the similar Telegram was at number 3 and 2.
- The fastest growing app by downloads in Q1 2021 was MX Takatak.
- Total consumer spend on gaming hit $22 billion.
- The quarter’s most downloaded game was Supersonic Studio’s hyper casual survival game Join Clash 3D.